Monday, July 16, 2012

The Certainty of Knitting

Art by Robert Tageant

Life is full of surprises, unexpected news, and outcomes that were never anticipated. Just last week I brought my car to have it's routine oil change done before I left out of town to visit a friend. While it was being serviced, I got a phone call that it needed some other work done... $800.00 worth of work in fact! That's a lot of money to shell out without much notice. It threw me into a stressed-out tizzy of crazy. I survived and the world moved on (thanks a ton to my very patient and clear head husband - God I love him!) but my point is life is full of things like that. Everyone I know has had something similar happen to them in some shape, form or fashion - you can prepare all you want but life is not a math equation. A+B does NOT = C when it comes to the real world and you never know what is around the corner.

This is one of the reasons I love the sh*t (excuse my French) out of knitting. Knitting is a huge math equation and no matter how many times you do a certain stitch pattern - if done correctly - it always turns out the same. Knit 2 then purl 2 until you run out of stitches ALWAYS gives me a nice ribbed piece of art. It has no variables, it has no maybes, it is certain and something that I can always depend on unlike life. When things are going crazy and spinning wildly out of control, I can always pick up my knitting needles and rely on them to do exactly what I want and expect them to. Thank goodness for the certainty of knitting – without it I would be one scary lady some days! 

6 comments:

  1. We all need something to keep us calm through all the crazy! I hear you on vehicle repairs! My husband's truck was making a funny whirring sound and $1500 later it had an entirely rebuilt axle. Ugh...

    Blogging Buddies Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it! I feel the same with my jewelry. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany - I feel the same way about sewing :)
    I know how you feel about the bill for the car maintenance. I've had a few of those types of "surprises" too!
    take care,
    Duni

    p.s. I love your new about me picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, I know how you feel with the unexpected bills. My husband had some issues with his tires last year, and we thought there was something wrong with one of the wheels... but he actually had to get the entire suspension realigned. Awesome.

    Jewelry and decorating are my elixirs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those car issues just happened to me a few weeks ago! I took it in because my a/c wasn't working properly and they said the whole system was ruined and it would be $4200 to fix it! I took it somewhere else and it only cost $500 to replace some fans. And the thing is, all this happened when other issues were happening! I hate when it all happens at once. I need to take up knitting! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are making me want to knit! I agree that we all need something that we can control the outcome of to keep us sane. I love when I get so involved in an art project that I lose track of time for a while; to lose yourself doing something you love is the best feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD